VACUUMING TIPSRead up on how to vacuum the correct way.
The Basics of Vacuuming Properly
Vacuuming at least once a week is the most important and simple thing you can do to keep your carpet clean. It also preserves the cushiness of the carpet. What most people don’t know is that vacuuming also can have the largest impact on the air you breathe.
How to Vacuum
On carpet, use slow, repetitive front-to-back motions in an overlapping sequence. A quick once over doesn’t do much. You shouldn’t need to press down or make more than two or three passes over the same spot.
To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember these few easy tips:
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away any fallen dust.
- Don’t forget those corners and crevices where dust builds.
- Replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full.
Understanding the Attachments
Attachments allow vacuums to do more than clean carpets. They can tackle many other projects, such as cleaning bookshelves and other items that tend to collect dust. Your particular vacuum may feature some of the following attachments:
- The all-purpose or universal brush works well on books and shelves.
- The crevice tool (long and thin) reaches into narrow slots and corners.
- The dusting brush details items that need a softer touch.
- The radiator brush cleans radiators and narrow spaces.
- The upholstery nozzle is good for vacuuming chairs, sofas, cushions, drapes, mattresses, and fabric furniture covers.
The Correct Vacuuming Frequency
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a CRI Seal of Approval/Green Label vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum. The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
Vacuum Care Tips
For the best cleaning results, periodically inspect your vacuum and keep it in tiptop shape and functioning properly:
- Keep the instructions that came with your vacuum and refer to them periodically.
- Keep hoses and attachments free from obstructions. Most vacuums that are discarded as nonfunctional often are only clogged somewhere in the unit. Learn where these likely places are from the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Grip the handle, not the hose.
- Keep brushes clean (for example, remove tangled hair) and replace them when worn. Typically, worn brushes are stiff, and they cause surface texture change on carpet.
- Empty containers or replace bags when half full. (Just as you would not top off a car’s gas tank until it overflows, you would not want your vacuum bag to spill over.)
- Look for rough edges or bent metal on your machine that can snag carpet.
We provide our customers with the cleanest and fastest drying carpets and upholstery in the industry. When we’re invited into your home or business, we promise to expertly apply our products so as to be gentle on carpets and property and non-toxic for people and pets. Our cleaning services will be delivered by trustworthy, friendly professionals.
We serve Santa Monica, Malibu, Calabasas, Mar Vista, West LA, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Topanga, Hidden Hills, Agoura Hills, Bell Canyon, Westlake Village and the surrounding areas.